Thursday, December 1, 2011

Phoenix NASCAR and the Grand Canyon

OK, this post is totally messed up in the order. Bear with me--I didn't want to start completely over. This top picture is of me hanging on at the Grand Canyon. My knees were shaking so bad I could hardly stand there. Curt kept saying, "Get closer!" Yeah, right.
OK, now we are at NASCAR. Cary was gracious enough to let us stay at his house in Phoenix. We left after work on Friday and got to Phoenix about 12:30 a.m. I was worried about running into some Skinwalkers on the way down after reading an alien book Lacey and Landon gave me, but we made it just fine. You wouldn't believe the number of trailers there. Cary took out his trailer so we had somewhere to hang out. We had to ride a shuttle to get up to the racetrack.
It was hard to get good pictures the cars were traveling so fast. At the end of this post I have downloaded a little video from my camera that shows the starting of the race.
The stadium is in the background. In front is a picture of one of the shuttles. Trailers, trailers, rednecks, rednecks, everywhere!
OK you can see some (a very, very few) of the trailers in the background. Look at the semis lined up in the infield, or whatever you call it
Dave with the racetrack in the background. Notice his cute little ear plug? You absolutely HAD to have earplugs. IT WAS SO LOUD!!!!
People camp out on the hillside. It does cost them to sit there.

Just look at the people! Thousands of them.
Cary, our host with the most.
Now, to the Grand Canyon again. We stopped at a trading post and Curt saw a watchband he liked. He didn't buy it, so we started back on the road. About 20 miles later, he decided we ought to go back and get it. After we turned around and got his watch, I knew the Grand Canyon was only a 30 mile or so detour to the west. So we decided to take it in. We only saw one small portion, but it was well worth the detour.
Beautiful---for miles and miles and miles.

Here is the video. The pacer car had just left so you get to see the first lap. Hope it works.


1 comment:

Cashelle said...

You were so brave to get clear out there on that edge. Way to go Mom! I still think you should've come here instead! Just kidding. I'm glad you could go have a good time.