Sunday, January 6, 2008

What a weekend--For everybody!

Ever had a bad day? Let's multiply that by four. Curt and I plus all three of our kids and families had bad experiences this weekend.

First of all, Curt and I had to run up to Sam's Friday after school. I had to pick some things up for school plus we had to get the oil changed in our Toyota at Brent Brown's. Anyway, I was to pick up the high school Sam's club credit card from one of the teachers when we got up Provo. So we did. Curt put the credit card in his vest pocket. We continued shopping, getting a few things for ourselves and some T-shirt transfers, flash drives, and computer ink cartridges for the school. We get up to the checkout counter, unload our stuff first, and then the school's stuff after. I said, "OK, Curt. Give me the credit card." He stuck both hands in his vest pockets, all his pants pockets, pulled out his wallet, as I'm saying, "Curt, you're not funny. Give me the card." (If you know Curt, you never know when he is kidding or not.) He got a blank look on his face, looked through all his pockets again, and then said he was certain he had given it to me. Not! So, he started hurrying back the way we came while I'm explaining to the clerk (of course, with a line of people behind me) that these items are for the school and my husband had just lost the high school's Sam's Club credit card. Finally, since Curt hadn't returned, I whipped out my debit card and paid for the school's stuff from our account--$480 worth!!! (Not even counting the $165 we had spent on our own stuff.) I hurried to the customer service desk and told them the situation. We decided we had better cancel the school's credit card so if someone had picked it up they couldn't use it. Curt was so upset--but not as upset as I was. How was I going to explain this to the principal? We get home and I call Mr. Squire telling him he'd never guess what had happened. He was all nice about it and said that Debbie could take care of it on Monday. So now I just need to get $480 from the school. I'm sure they'll reimburse me . . .

Second, A. J. and Cashelle had a terrible wind storm in Tooele and lost their beautiful fence that had enclosed their backyard. They lost the trampoline--for a little while. They eventually found all the parts of it. As A. J. and Cashelle are rounding up the parts of their fence so they won't get covered by the snow and not found until spring, a big gust of wind comes up and A. J. gets struck in the head with one of the panels from their fence. Yep, he got a concussion. At least their family was safe . . .

Third, Chris and Amanda. They live in an apartment building on the ground floor. The apartment above them had a break in their water heater. The water came down the walls of Chris and Amanda's apartment. Now they are going to have to get new carpet plus the landlord will have to fix the walls in their living room. This weekend they had to live with the sound of dehumidifiers trying to get the dampness out of their apartment. Luckily none of their things were ruined thanks to Amanda's quick thinking to move the couch away from the wall . . .

Fourth, Lacey and Landon. Theirs wasn't quite as drastic, but still an inconvenience. They waited all day for the cable guy to come and install their Internet and cable, but they never showed up. They travel to Richfield for the weekend because Landon's buddy had gotten married. They had to travel bad roads to get there and bad roads to get home. Luckily they made it home safely . . .

Saturday Curt had to drive the bus to Delta for the drill team competition. He wanted me to go with him. And miss my Saturday cleaning day? The only day I have to clean the house? I kept making up excuses why I couldn't go but finally relented. I'm glad I did. We left home at 5:30 a.m. and got home at 9:30 at night. We bought ourselves a personal DVD player and took some movies with us. We watched our girls perform, of course, but the rest of the day I checked papers from school and we watched two movies "Disturbia" (which was really a pretty good movie. If you haven't seen it, you ought to check it out." We also watched "Signs"--one of my favorites. Oh, by the way, the girls took 2nd in military and 2nd in dance, and they have nine freshmen on their team! Not a bad showing.

All in all, I think I'm ready to go back to work tomorrow . . .

2 comments:

Cashelle said...

Yeah, let's not relive that one eh?

Jerry Twitchell Family said...

Sounds like you had a bad one. Hopefully, that isn't a sign for the rest of the year. The backdrop is save your family's addresses because it doesn't save them. Of course, with your technology skills you can probably make it work better than I did.